Thursday, August 25, 2011

MEDAKA (めだか)












Fall 2004

Medaka is about a young woman named Meguro Takako played by Mimura. She has been living her life like a leaf in the wind; without any direction or motivation until she starts a job as a teacher for a night school. At first, just like her previous jobs, she doesn't really enjoy the work, but eventually she becomes more serious about her job and the challenges that come with it. Her nickname is Medaka which she isn't particularly fond of, but her students stick with that name. As she tackles the issues facing her students, her bond with them strengthens and she gradually learns the true meaning of being a teacher.

Recommendation: This drama was a nice feel good story. I've watched a few dramas that were set in a school environment like GTO, Gokusen, and Rookies where the teacher goes beyond the call of duty to help his/her students. Medaka was no different and so I caught myself being a little bored at times because of the predictability of the series. I also thought that some scenes were over dramatic although I know that dramas are supposed to be like that in a way. Still Mimura, who I really think is a good actress, stole the show. She has a great smile and portrays a pure and innocent type very well in this series. I also liked the perspective of a night school that showed different students of all ages going through a variety of issues different from traditional students. I also got hungry almost every time I watched an episode because Medaka and/or her students seem to always be eating something that looked delicious! I recommend this drama if you want to watch something inspirational; Medaka's smile did it for me.

Spoiler Alert: One small issue I had with the drama was that there seemed to be a love triangle developing between Shiina, Medaka, and Sakuragi that never fully developed. I was waiting for a scene in which Medaka was going to choose or at least hint at who she liked, but it never came to fruition.

STORY: 0.5
ACTING: 1.0
DIRECTING: 0.5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 1.0
EMOTIONAL FACTOR: 1.0

4.0 Out Of 5.0 Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment