Wednesday, August 31, 2011

FREETER, IE O KAU. (フリーター、家を買う。)














Fall 2010

Freeter, Ie o Kau is a drama about a young man named Take Seiji (Ninomiya Kazunari) who believes he is living an "average" life. He never excelled in anything and lived each day like a leaf blowing in the wind. One day he quits his job after working for only 3 months and begins to search for a more suitable position. After some time, his search for a dream job looks hopeless, he is constantly scolded by his father, and his mother becomes depressed. To pay for expenses at home, he finds a part-time job at a small construction company. He makes excuses that he's only working there temporarily until he finds a "real job." But as he experiences the harsh working environment and the people who take ownership of their positions, his perspective on work begins to change and also influences his life at home.

Recommendation: I enjoyed this series a lot and as I reflect back on it, I think it's because I empathized with the lead character and his myriad of issues. I for one, lost my job due to a company merger more than a year ago. I never like my job and felt like I was wasting time sitting in a cubicle. Any energy that I had, felt like it was slowly seeping out of myself. I understood Seiji's issue with work, but I also realized that most people don't work because they like it; most people wake up everyday because they have to. It was interesting to see the different perspectives people had about work. Also family issues were big in this drama and it is so true that a lot of times we don't know that we are hurting the people closest to us. In any case, Ninomiya fit his role well. I liked the construction company boss, Oetsu and Seiji's sister Ayako played by Igawa Haruka. Karina and Takenaka Naoto had main roles, but I think they could have been better. Still it was a good series to watch and has a lot of helpful advice on the struggles of life.

STORY: 1.0
ACTING: 0.5
DIRECTING: 1.0
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 1.0
EMOTIONAL FACTOR: 1.0

4.5 Out Of 5.0 Crowns

2 comments:

  1. i could not stand this drama and left it after epi 2 or 3. I hate characters when they make excuses. Take just drags on through life, complains about every thing. Take mistreating his mother and leading her to mental breakdown was the 'it' for me. There is no excuses for that.
    But i guess he does grow at the end but i did not like the protagonist enough to watch through the whole drama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't like it. Yes, when you see characters like that, it is frustrating to watch because we know how much they're hurting. But you are also right that things do turn around. It wasn't the best but I did enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete