Tuesday, May 4, 2010

MR. BRAIN



SPRING 2009

Being a huge fan of Kimura Takuya, I was looking forward to watching this drama. Although I felt that Kimutaku's performance was, as usual, very good being an eccentric neuroscientist, the drama as a whole did not do much for me. I didn't feel emotionally attached to any other character except for Kimutaku's (Tsukumo Ryusuke) even though his character never fully developed either. I was hoping for more developments between Tsukumo and Yuri Kazune's relationship (played by Ayase Haruka). There were many minor characters which I thought would have been nice to develop as well. Being a mystery/comedy, I guess this can be difficult to do. It is my intuition but maybe another series may develop in the future? I just felt a bit empty handed after it ended.

The drama was a short 8 episodes and mysteries would need to be solved by Tsukumo, Yuri, the two detectives and the Institute of Police Science. For the most part, I could not get too excited by the mysteries because I knew that eventually Tsukumo would solve them in his own clever way, but Kimutaku's acting skills pulled me through to the very end. I could not get enough of his high pitched laugh and the way he would skip and walk.

I was amazed by the number of famous or popular guest actors and actresses such as Gackt, Nakama Yukie, Kamenashi Kazuya, and Koyuki just to name a few. I also liked the two police detectives; Mizushima Hiro's character Hayashida who did a good job of creating a bit of comedy relief with Shitara Osamu's character Kanda. I learned a lot about the brain although some of the things they claim in the movie may be fictional.

Recommendation: I recommend this drama especially if you like Kimura Takuya and mysteries, but if you're willing to invest a lot of time looking for entertainment that is uplifting, moving, emotional, or exciting, this may not be the drama for you.

STORY: 0.5
ACTING: 1
DIRECTING: 1
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: 0.5
EMOTIONAL FACTOR: 0.5

3.5 OUT OF 5 CROWNS






No comments:

Post a Comment